Copy Right

ALL CONTENT ON THIS BLOG IS THE SOLE COPY RIGHT & PROPERTY OF BRIDGET WHITE-KUMAR.
PLEASE NOTE: NO ARTICLES, PHOTOGRAPHS, INFORMATION OR PART THERE OF, of this SITE / PUBLICATION may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system or transmitted in any form, or by any means, electrical, mechanical, photocopying, recording or otherwise without the prior permission of the owner of this blog as any copying without permission will amount to Plagarism and infringement of Copy Right.

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

THE KGF HOSPITAL – Dr. Maj. T J O’DONNELL




















THE KGF HOSPITAL – Dr. Maj. T J O’DONNELL
The John Taylor and Sons Company with the co-operation of the O’Donnell brothers, Dr Maj. T J O’Donnell and  Dr.J D O’Donnell, established a small hospital to accommodate 48 patients initially in 1887.  It became a well equipped hospital in 1900, to cater to the medical needs and emergencies of the miners and their families. It was centrally located in Champion Reefs. Dr Maj.T J O’Donnell was the first Chief Medical Officer of the Hospital and served as the CMO for more than 25 years. Dr. Maj T J O’Donnell was also a honorary Surgeon Major in the KGF Volunteers.

The hospital was staffed with eminent British and Indian doctors and British and Anglo-Indian nurses. The hospital wards were named after the erstwhile British bosses such as Gideon Ward, Henry’s Ward, Morgan ward, etc.. Medical Treatment was provided free of cost for the miners and their families. A well maintained Maternity Unit was also later established in a separate wing of the Hospital.The Mining Hospital slowly gained the distinction of being the best hospital in the whole of the Kolar district. This Mining Company Hospital was later recognized by the Indian Medical Council as a reputed center for the treatment of Occupational Diseases, such as Tuberculosis, Silicosis, etc.


Today this Hospital with its once expensive equipment and more than 200 beds has been shut. Most of the medical equipment has been stolen. The hospital wards named after the erstwhile British bosses such as Gideon Ward, Henry’s Ward, Morgan ward, etc., are completely denuded of the beds and furniture and the hospital now resembles a haunted building, and is slowly falling down in parts. Its so sad to think that “This Hospital” which was once the best hospital in the whole Kolar District which saved the lives of so many people has now ceased to exist. 

THIS IS AN EXCERPT FROM MY BOOK KOLAR GOLD FIELDS DOWN MEMORY LANE 

No comments: